Friday, May 6, 2011

What kind of houses do I like?

So I thought it might be useful to learn a little bit more about me - and in particular, the types, or styles, of houses I like, so you know when I am giving my reviews, what I am basing my reviews on.

Years ago I worked with an interior designer and she used to say "it is important to love all colors" at the time I used to think "yeah right, except yellow...and I am not so fond of purple either." I was pretty sure at that time that there were the 'right' colors to pick and put on the interior or exterior of a house and the 'wrong' colors - and I was fairly committed to my opinions that I knew the 'right' colors. Over the years, my ideas about color have mellowed and I can now embrace the whole spectrum of colors. I might not choose to have them all in my house, however, I can embrace the colors others choose for their homes.

The same came be said about me and the types, or styles, of houses that I prefer. My favorites are:
Victorian villas
Georgian mansions
Bungalows
Mediterranean
Brownstones
Craftsman
Shingle style
Very modern homes

I am less fond of:
Mid-century modern
Haciendas
Tudors
Colonial

That being said, I saw a mid-century modern house on last year's Junior League of San Francisco house tour that was amazing and thoroughly appealed to my husband and I.

I tend to lean towards larger houses, however I think small houses done really well, can be real stand-outs. I love, appreciate and gravitate towards a high attention to detail.

Really, when all is said and done, what I love most are that homeowners are willing to open their homes to people like me who get inspired by them. I thank each and every homeowner who has opened your home to a house tour, so very much for your generosity!

With much gratitude,

Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment